Langdon is a hamlet in Alberta, Canada. It is located 16 kilometers (10 mi) east of the City of Calgary, at an elevation of 1,005 meters (3,297 ft).
It is found at the intersection of Highways 560 (Glenmore Trail) and 797, 5 km south of the intersection with the Trans Canada Highway and Highway 9. Highway 22X also leads to Langdon via Highway
797. The hamlet is located in census division No. 6 and in the federal riding of Crowfoot. It is administered by Rocky View County.
Langdon is one of the fastest growing hamlets in the Calgary Region and Alberta.
Langdon was named for R.B. Langdon of Langdon & Shepard,Canadian Pacific Railway subcontracting firm who built a section of the line just east of Calgary. Both the Langdon and Shepard stations
took their names from these men. Langdon was one of two people to turn the first sod in the settlement in 1882. A year later, a railway station was set up in a boxcar and named after him.
A post office was established in January 1, 1890. By the year 1905, Langdon and nearby Cheadle were of equal size, and were both important stops along the CPR rail line.
The community of Langdon became known as the “good luck town” because in the twenty-five years between 1883 and 1908, there was not one death. It was also considered lucky because it was
situated on the railroad’s horseshoe shaped turnaround.
After a long period of stagnation, Langdon began to grow again in the 1990s and 2000s, with a number of major residential developments under way. This is due to its proximity to Calgary, and like
other towns near Calgary, it is becoming a bedroom community.
A new commercial development currently under construction is being designed as a reconstruction of the way Langdon's main street looked in 1908.
As of 2006, Langdon had a total population of 2,595 living in 811 dwellings. With a land area of 3.33 km2 (1.3 sq mi), it has a population density of 779.3 /km2 (2,018.4/sq mi).
Visit community of Langdon website www.goodlucktown.ca